Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week 6-Operating Systems

In the shop of my entrepreneurial dreams there's room for multiple operating systems.  The problem with running multiple OS's is how do I interface?  There's no doubt that Mac has the market cornered for graphic design, but Windows has the advantage with their Office capabilities.   What's the solution?  Both of them are.

For the graphic design and presentation aspects, Mac will be my go to OS.  Keeping in mind that I plan to use a good tablet device to present options to in store customers, so that they may build their bike there if they wish, I would do well to choose the iPad to assist me in this.  Utilizing the iOS system synched to an Mac computer would allow me to accomplish this.  While you may be able to synch iPads to Windows machines, I also want the Mac for their graphic design capabilities.  Photoshop looks great on a 24" iMac.

For the business side of things, Windows will handle the grunt work.  With their host of office production software, I can manage my own empire and make it easy for everyone.  The majority of businesses utilize windows based programs, and there are known compatibility issues with Windows to Mac transfers on some programs.

To tie them all together, VM Fusion will allow me to run select computers as both Macs and Windows based machines.  No need to worry about wether or not I made the right decision on an OS, I have both.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you brought up the potential use of VMWare. That could make your life a lot easier and also reduce your hardware needs.

    ReplyDelete